[PLUG-TALK] PSU scan to email - Library access

Russell Senior russell at personaltelco.net
Wed Oct 19 22:53:44 UTC 2011

>>>>> "Brent" == Brent Rieck <bsr at spek.org> writes:

Brent> On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 9:54 AM, Keith Lofstrom
Brent> <keithl at kl-ic.com> wrote:
>> Perhaps we should figure out a way to ask the reference desk at the
>> New York Public Library (42nd Street, with the lion statues).  They
>> are reputed to be the best information sleuths in the world.

Brent> You can call them according to the Wikipedia: "The Library
Brent> recently launched 917-ASK-NYPL, a new easier to remember
Brent> telephone number for Library information and for asking
Brent> reference questions.

Another place to look for reference service, check out L-Net.

  http://www.oregonlibraries.net/about

Reference Librarianship tends to attract compulsive problem/puzzle
solvers.  Some hang out every waking hour, snapping up information
patrons that happen along and energetically help them.

I used the service once.  I was looking for published research on
human activity, specifically, studies that might show how long a human
(not a corpse) can sit still without moving.  I tried them late one
night, and got a fellow in Ohio.  As we were looking, I mentioned that
my wife was a reference librarary, but that since I was her boring
spouse, she'd manage to tear herself away from my tiresome problem.
He joked "it's nice that she can turn it off!".  He clearly
couldn't. ;-)

--
Russell Senior, President
russell at personaltelco.net