[PLUG-TALK] Toaster Recommendations?

Russell Senior russell at personaltelco.net
Tue Oct 25 07:02:39 UTC 2011

>>>>> "Galen" == Galen Seitz <galens at seitzassoc.com> writes:

Russell> We are in the market for a *good* toaster.

Galen> ...

Russell> We toast bread of various sizes, and bagels, and occasionally
Russell> toast some chopped nuts.

By an amazing stroke of serendipidy, I am no longer in the market for
a new toaster.  You may recall that the latest chapter of my toaster
oven saga began this weekend as I was awoken to the lament that the
toaster oven wasn't working ... again.  And that my diagnosis had
determined the cause of failure was a non-functioning door switch.  I
had not even the remotest glimmer of finding a replacement for this
kind of part in a slapdash assembled thing for the low end consumer
market.  I had just bypassed the switch with a trimmed piece of
thickish copper sheet metal and called it good, while trying to
estimate the marginal safety risk.

Tonight I went to dorkbot.  And, there in the "free" box of random
parts brought in by an unidentified dorkboteer, was a microswitch body
that looked quite similar to the one that had failed.  I thought, omg,
I'll take a few of those and maybe I can adapt them some how.

A few minutes ago, I got home, found the failed bit and discovered my
dorkbot score was a drop-in replacement with exactly the same form
factor as the busted switch.  Even down to the same graphic and pin
labeling embossed into the plastic housing.  What a freaking miracle!

--
Russell Senior, President
russell at personaltelco.net