[PLUG-TALK] [PLUG] Old television shows and Linux...

Aaron Burt aaron at bavariati.org
Fri Sep 2 17:45:01 UTC 2011

On Fri, Sep 02, 2011 at 09:34:12AM -0700, Michael C. Robinson wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-09-02 at 09:21 -0700, Aaron Burt wrote:
> > On Thu, Sep 01, 2011 at 09:32:11PM -0700, Michael C. Robinson wrote:
> > > Star Trek Voyager ended in like 2001 or so.  Star Trek Deep Space Nine
> > <snip>
> >
> > Answered on PLUG-Talk.
> >
> > Please do try to be a better citizen,
>
> Excuse you.  This is not a PLUG-talk topic

Everything is a PLUG-Talk topic.  Except answers to technical questions
about using OSS software, which belong on PLUG.

> considering that using a
> Linux based server as the media server is a PLUG topic.

Does using a Linux-based computer to write an email about Atheism make it
topical?  Is President Obama's foreign policy topical because the White
House uses Drupal on Linux?

> I'm trying to
> ask what is legal as far as recording of live television and long term
> archival of those recordings.  I'm also trying to ask, what is there to
> stop me legally from copying copyrighted commercial DVDs that I have
> purchased where I intend to air the copy privately from my Linux based
> server?

So tell me, what TECHNOLOGICAL problem are you trying to solve here?

Also, have you done ANY RESEARCH AT ALL?  Are you so lazy that you can't be
bothered to ask a search engine, and instead demand that your servants (the
people on PLUG, whom you have never met, nor done any favors for) carefully
answer your questions accurately, without causing the slightest offense?

Hints:
"Fair Use" "Betamax Ruling" "Time/Space/Format Shifting" "Private Copying"

Wasting my breath for fun,
  Aaron