[PLUG-TALK] light sensor question

Galen Seitz galens at seitzassoc.com
Tue Sep 6 23:33:58 PDT 2011

Russell Johnson wrote:
> On Sep 6, 2011, at 5:02 PM, Rich Shepard wrote:
>
>> which may no longer be available since all that's sold nowadays
>> are compact fluorescent bulbs.
>
> Incandescent bulbs are not yet in fact dead. In fact, This week I
> purchased a box of 24 60 watt light bulbs for $8 at Home Depot.
> While I laude the idea of CFLs, until they prove to me that the CFL
> bulb will actually last longer than an incandescent, I'm not
> switching until I have to. I have not yet had a CFL that has lasted
> longer than one year in any application I've used it in. I have
> many incandescents that have lasted longer than any CFL I've used.
> Not to mention the mercury in CFLs, the fact that you can't dump
> them in the waste stream, and no one wants to take them back when
> they are dead.

Other than slow startup, particularly at lower temperatures, I've had
good luck with CFLs in our house.  Also, Home Depot will recycle CFLs.
 You can call Metro to find other recyclers of CFLs.

Hopefully the costs of LED lighting will soon become competitive with
CFLs.  At that point, I suspect CFLs will quickly disappear.

galen
--
Galen Seitz
galens at seitzassoc.com