[PLUG-TALK] Truth about Programming

Aaron Burt aaron at bavariati.org
Thu Sep 8 17:45:13 UTC 2011

On Thu, Sep 08, 2011 at 08:25:32AM -0700, Pete Lancashire wrote:
> Seems about right, where I work an ex co worker finally got his BS in
> Comp Sci. from PSU
> He can not write in any language a program that produces the output
> "Hello World".

Of course.  He went to PSU.  It's a wonder he can still tie his shoes. :)

It's unfortunate that so many people who want to do UI design, MIS or
software engineering instead go for the theoretical math degree that
happens to have the word "Computer" in it.

Imagine if all the wanna-be electrical engineers took degrees in quantum
and solid-state physics, and then had to learn everything about project
management, circuit design, control theory and signal processing on-the-job?

Grumpy because I got the wrong degree (EE-Power), at the wrong school
(PSU), the wrong way (no intership).

At least it got me into Canada (but I came back before I got citizenship),
  Aaron