[PLUG-TALK] Obama expected to sign patent reform legislation

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sat Sep 10 06:04:00 PDT 2011

On Fri, 9 Sep 2011, John Jason Jordan wrote:

> "The legislation also takes steps to reduce harassing litigation, and
> improve patent quality by enabling third parties to submit information
> that may be relevant to the granting of a patent."

   A random thought on this topic wandered into my brain when Keith first
brought the situation to our attention. What might be the effects on patent
trolls if legislation was passed that required patent holders to actually
use their patents in products or services, not by licensing, but by
themselves? If such proof of use did not exist for 5 years the patent
expires.

   Water rights work this way. If you don't use your right for 5 years you
lose it. If the idea of patents is to promote innovation by protecting the
inventor's ability to employ the patent in a product (I'm against service
patents), then all patent holders should be required to employ them
themselves.