[PLUG-TALK] Opt-in as a way to push Fiber

Denis Heidtmann denis.heidtmann at gmail.com
Sun Sep 11 04:37:24 UTC 2011

On Sat, Sep 10, 2011 at 8:37 AM, John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net>wrote:

> On Sat, 10 Sep 2011 07:58:47 -0700
> Denis Heidtmann <denis.heidtmann at gmail.com> dijo:
>
> >It occurred to me that participating in Metro's Opt-in survey system
> >might be a way to bring the "Last Mile" fiber as a government utility
> >up on the list of considerations.  You can join here:
> >http://www.optinpanel.org/index.php/whos_opt_in
>
> The "Who's Joined" page has me confused. How can more people have

joined Op-in than exist in each demographic?

Let me explain.  23.6% of the people in the Metro counties come from
Clackamas Co., but 11.7% of all opt-in participants come from Clackamas Co.
 43.8% of the people in the Metro counties come from Multnomah Co., but
62.5% of all opt-in participants come from Multnomah Co., etc.  Think of it
as a way of expressing the relative participation of the various groups.

> I also note that they do not have a survey for fiber. It appears you
> can express opinions only by responding to their surveys, and so far
> they do not have one about broadband.

The last survey, which is the one I intended to link to, asked what subject
should Metro be studying?  I put in last mile fiber.

Please ignore Rich's snide remark.

-Denis