[PLUG-TALK] Opt-in as a way to push Fiber

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Sun Sep 11 06:27:09 UTC 2011

On Sat, 10 Sep 2011 21:37:24 -0700
Denis Heidtmann <denis.heidtmann at gmail.com> dijo:

>> The "Who's Joined" page has me confused. How can more people have
>joined Op-in than exist in each demographic?

>Let me explain.  23.6% of the people in the Metro counties come from
>Clackamas Co., but 11.7% of all opt-in participants come from
>Clackamas Co.
> 43.8% of the people in the Metro counties come from Multnomah Co., but
>62.5% of all opt-in participants come from Multnomah Co., etc.  Think
>of it as a way of expressing the relative participation of the various
>groups.

Thanks for the clarification.

>> I also note that they do not have a survey for fiber. It appears you
>> can express opinions only by responding to their surveys, and so far
>> they do not have one about broadband

>The last survey, which is the one I intended to link to, asked what
>subject should Metro be studying?  I put in last mile fiber.

I can't find that page.

>Please ignore Rich's snide remark.

We're both old enough to remember when Kennedy beat Nixon, mostly
because Daley stole Illinois for him. And, strangely, Nixon let him get
away with it. Perhaps a harbinger of Nixon's attitude that all is legal
in politics. But that is OT. I found Rich's remarks amusing.

I decided not to Opt-in. I might do so if the site did not demand my
e-mail address. I trust government agencies more than spammers, but
not much more.