[PLUG-TALK] Resolved: Undo stupid mistake - Bios Password

Richard C. Steffens rsteff at comcast.net
Tue Sep 13 00:23:44 UTC 2011

On 09/12/2011 03:45 PM, John Jason Jordan wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Sep 2011 13:31:01 -0700
> "Richard C. Steffens"<rsteff at comcast.net>  dijo:
>
>> Now all I have to do is figure out how to open up the case of this
>> laptop.

Success. I didn't really need to take the entire case apart. The hatch
that gives access to the memory sticks also gives access to the CMOS
battery. It just took a bit more prying than I wanted to do. I was
concerned I might break the cover, but my wife didn't know that and she
gave a stronger tug on it than I did.

Anyway, leaving the CMOS battery out while we went off to the store
worked. Plus, getting rid of the bios password also made it possible to
start  XP in safe mode so I can run defrag.

> For many laptops the manufacturers have a service manual that you can
> download.

I found the "user manual" but not one that tells me how to do stuff the
want you to use a qualified tech to do.

> And I feel your frustration. I hate the modern practice of trying to
> hide the screws.

Turns out none of the ones that mattered were hidden. But there were
several that were under other things as we worked through the process.
We successfully put all of them back, too.

Next up, get more memory and a bigger hard drive so I can install Linux
on it.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens