[PLUG-TALK] Potential For Web Site Enhancement Work

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Wed Sep 14 23:03:57 UTC 2011

On Wed, 14 Sep 2011, Aaron Burt wrote:

> Interesting.  Mind, lots of brick-and-mortar retailers would rather have
> you call them with stocking questions, and use their site for contact
> info.

Aaron,

   When I call them, or go in, they can look up inventory on the POS
computers. So it should not be that difficult to use whatever database
they're currently using (undoubtably Microsoft-approved) on their site.
Actually, visitors to their Web site don't need to see inventory levels as
much as seeing if they carry a particular item.

   Their site has no search capability and when you look at one of the topic
links all they display are links to the web sites of the manufacturers whose
products they carry. Useless.

   So many people shop on-line nowadays I think those luddite brick-and-morar
stores are denying themselves potential business. I, too, won't drive from
Troutdale to their store in close-in NE Portland just to see if they have
something in stock and compare their price to other retailers. If this store
adds pages with what they carry (not just the brands) and prices and they
have a order capability they may well find themselves selling to out of
town/out of state customers whose business they currently do not have.

Richard B. Shepard, Ph.D.          |   Integrity - Credibility - Innovation
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc.   |    Helping Ensure Our Clients' Futures