[PLUG-TALK] Saw sharpeners in Portland?

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Fri Sep 23 23:21:41 UTC 2011

On Wed, 15 Sep 2010 06:11:30 -0700 (PDT)
Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> dijo:

>On Tue, 14 Sep 2010, John Jason Jordan wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the lead. Their web site has a Contact page. I sent them
>> an e-mail asking for prices this morning, but so far no response. I
>> hope they check their e-mail now and then.

>Give 'em a call. They may be able to offer a range of prices depending on
>the condition of the blade, but not an exact figure. I found their
>prices quite reasonable for the jobs they did that saved my having to
>buy a new blade or router bit. So I didn't care exactly what they
>charged because they sharpened, cleaned, and made the tool as good as
>new.

This thread started a year ago and just now I am getting around to
calling the places suggested. But now there is bad news: NW Saw and
Tool's phone number is no longer in service. That's what I get for
being so slow. :(

And I called Carbide Saw and was told they charge according to how many
teeth the blade has. My blades are all at least 40 teeth, and many
twice that number. They said $15 for a 40-tooth blade. I can buy new
for about the same price. The old ones won't be really wasted, as they
will go to the recycler and end up reappearing as Toyota fenders.

Someone needs to make a home blade sharpening device. They exist for
drill bits and chain saws, but I've never heard of one for circular saw
blades.