[PLUG-TALK] Saw sharpeners in Portland?

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Sep 23 16:37:11 PDT 2011

On Fri, 23 Sep 2011, John Jason Jordan wrote:

> This thread started a year ago and just now I am getting around to calling
> the places suggested. But now there is bad news: NW Saw and Tool's phone
> number is no longer in service. That's what I get for being so slow. :(

   Wow! It was just two weeks ago that I had a miter saw blade sharpened
there. When I stopped by to pick it up, the back room was empty and quiet,
but I thought that was because they were all out having lunch. That's really
too bad, they're good people and did an excellent job with saw blades and
router bits.

> And I called Carbide Saw and was told they charge according to how many
> teeth the blade has. My blades are all at least 40 teeth, and many twice
> that number. They said $15 for a 40-tooth blade. I can buy new for about
> the same price. The old ones won't be really wasted, as they will go to
> the recycler and end up reappearing as Toyota fenders.

   Huh! I paid $14 for the 40-tooth miter saw blade, but when I buy new I buy
Freud and they're a lot more expensive than that.

> Someone needs to make a home blade sharpening device. They exist for drill
> bits and chain saws, but I've never heard of one for circular saw blades.

   That's because it takes special equipment and very skilled technicians to
sharpen carbide tips.

   Call Northwest Woodworking Studio (Gary Rogowski) at (503) 284-1644 or
Woodcrafters (503) 231-0226. Tell them that NW Saw and Tool apparently
recently shut down and ask who sharpens saw blades that they would
recommend.