[PLUG-TALK] Electric cars and Wall Street

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Mon Sep 26 09:47:14 PDT 2011

On Sun, 25 Sep 2011 22:44:11 -0700
Aaron Burt <aaron at bavariati.org> dijo:

>On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 08:36:14PM -0700, John Jason Jordan wrote:
>> If anyone has an interest in any part of this topic I would love to
>> hear your input, here or off-list.
>
>I am very interested in EVs and battery tech myself.  I'm saving my
>shekels and waiting for batteries to get good enough to make an EV
>motorcycle that can do ~120 miles at 65 MPH.  (~2x the power density
>of current tech)
>
>Meantime, here's some articles from a good engineering magazine:
>http://www.designnews.com/document.asp?doc_id=229273
>http://www.designnews.com/author.asp?section_id=1366&doc_id=212061
>http://www.designnews.com/author.asp?section_id=1366&doc_id=233111
>http://www.designnews.com/author.asp?section_id=1366&doc_id=233282
>
>Investments don't look good to me.  Lots of Promising New Technlogies
>but nothing near production, and the US companies are competing with
>China while they're still ramping up production.  So LG Chem and folks
>like that get the big contracts.
>
>I hope A123 muddles through.  They developed the (excellent) LiFePO4
>chemistry, but now everyone makes cells based on it.

Does anyone know anything about the iron-phosphate battery. BYD Auto is
using it in their E6:

http://www.byd.com/e6.html

The E6 is not a motorcycle, but they claim it can do 85 mph and go
186 miles on a charge. Wish I could buy one.

Warren Buffet recently bought a 10% interest in BYD (BYDDY:OTC).

At one time Best Buy was selling electric bicycles and they also had an
electric motorcycle. I don't recall the specs on the motorcycle,
though. I didn't pay much attention because I have balance issues that
make two-wheeled vehicles somewhat difficult.