[PLUG-TALK] I think I need a metal detector

Richard C. Steffens rsteff at comcast.net
Thu Sep 29 05:11:39 UTC 2011

On 09/28/2011 07:42 PM, John Jason Jordan wrote:
> The purpose is to locate water lines under a front lawn. That is, the
> lawn is naturally brown this time of year, but there are two very
> suspicious lush green spots. The water bureau has been out and they
> swear it's not on their side.
>
> I know zero about metal detectors. Any and all information would be
> appreciated.

Several years ago we could hear water running but it wasn't in the
house, nor was it any of the hose bibs. Our water supplier has a set of
hydrophones (I think that's what they called them) that they loan out to
customers. Basically the set has a solid disk connected by surgical
tubing to a stethoscope like head set. and all contained in your
standard 1960s oak case. You put the disk -- or maybe it was a pair of
them -- on the ground and listen for where the sound of the water is. It
didn't work for us because the leak was right at the foundation where
the old galvanized pipe enters the basement. But something like that
might work for you. I have no idea if the Portland Water Bureau has
anything like that to loan to customers but it wouldn't hurt to ask.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens