[PLUG-TALK] MacOS & Android Malware

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Thu Apr 19 17:07:59 UTC 2012

On Thu, 19 Apr 2012 09:02:56 -0700 (PDT)
Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> dijo:

>According to an article in today's 'Oregonian', the prevalence of devices
>running macOS and android has attracted the malware writers. If macos
>is vulnerable, wouldn't linux also be vulnerable? And, given the BSD
>paternity of macos, how vulnerable is it? (Web browser entry excepted
>because that's OS-indendent ... yes?)

I can't say anything about iPhones, but for my Android phone I need to
have anti-malware utilities installed. The phone came with Lookout
which, so far, seems to do the job. Most of the malware seems to be in
the form of applications downloaded from Google Play (formerly Google
Market). Whenever I install a new app or even update an app Lookout
pops up, scans it, and pronounces it safe. Google is forever cleaning
house and removing malware apps.

So yeah, the article is right. It's also a couple years late. Android
users have been aware of the issue for a long time. But it's normal for
the Oregonian to arrive late. They'd have a hard time reporting the
story if it was a fire in the Oregonian building.

As for Linux, I never worry about it. I'm behind a router at home, and
I never install dubious apps.