[PLUG-TALK] Lift a petabyte?

Aaron Burt aaron at bavariati.org
Wed Apr 25 18:50:14 UTC 2012

On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 09:50:30PM -0700, Keith Lofstrom wrote:
> Imagine an event for the nerd olympics - lifting a live petabyte.
> Live meaning you have to design a setup to power up all the drives
> (in succession or parallel, your choice) and extract a checksum
> file off each one - after you've lifted the whole mass off the
> floor and held it over your head.  Without damaging the drives.

Niiice!  I'm assuming one can use plug-in power.

I can clean & jerk only ~40kg and hold it overhead for maybe 30 seconds,
but given the popularity of CrossFit among nerds, I can see this happening.

Suddenly, lots more people would be thinking about switching PSU design.
Optimizing weight vs. time aloft will also be interesting.

Mind, this is not terribly different from some questionable things I've
done while racking up equipment. :)

Hitachi Travelstar 5K1000 (1TB) = 102g, 9.5x70x100mm
Hitachi Deskstar 5K4000 (4TB) = 690g, 26x102x147mm <-- mobile wins!