[PLUG-TALK] help at powells.com: Re: Huge label on used book ordered online

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Tue Dec 11 01:54:21 UTC 2012

On Mon, 10 Dec 2012 17:38:34 -0800
Denis Heidtmann <denis.heidtmann at gmail.com> dijo:

>I find that most adhesives used for such labels are soluble in paint
>thinner.  I do not know about the ink used on the paperback cover.

Many times the adhesive can be softened by heating with a hair dryer,
at least enough to peel it off without damaging the cover. If any of the
residue remains I can usually get it off with a paper towel lightly
moistened with Goof-Off. These procedures work much better if the cover
was laminated or at least varnished, which most are these days.