[PLUG-TALK] Printer (the other kind of) Jam

Keith Lofstrom keithl at gate.kl-ic.com
Fri Dec 21 03:44:32 UTC 2012

I use laser printers.  I'm at my father-in-law's house - he uses
an HP photosmart inkjet.  A LOT - perhaps 100 cartridges worth
(and no Christmas card from HP, when he's given them $$$$) .

Recently he's been dealing with frequent "carriage jam" errors,
and jiggling the print heads to make it work again.

I opened it up, felt around for an obstruction, and my finger
came out covered in black tar.  With a flashlight and a pocket
knife, I dug out about 3 cc's of black gunk - and there may be
much more in there.

Now I know that "printer jam" refers to a material, not an
operational state.

The printer works now, it may work better after a thorough
cleaning, perhaps best done by a printer repair shop (I
did not pack my grubbies for the trip).

But if there are any small color laser all-in-ones with
similar features, perhaps it is time to move him from ink
to toner.  Suggestions?