[PLUG-TALK] Printer (the other kind of) Jam

Aaron Burt aaron at bavariati.org
Fri Dec 21 18:38:26 UTC 2012

[...]

Of course: http://www.b3ta.com/board/3406366

> But if there are any small color laser all-in-ones with
> similar features, perhaps it is time to move him from ink
> to toner.  Suggestions?

I've been happy with Brother, both for value for money and for their Linux
support.  Our color, FAX and copy needs are so rare that we went for an
MFC-J430w all-in-one inkjet, $50 on sale at Staples.  It uses ink-only
cartridges rather than ink+printhead, with no anti-refill chips.

Although a used color laser might seem like the best choice (both for value
and for resource use) there are a *lot* of aging elastomeric components in
there that have to work reliably and with the correct amount of friction in
order for you to get your printout in un-wrinkled form.

I'm sure that John can testify that an aging laser printer is not so much a
piece of equipment as a hobby. :)