[PLUG-TALK] DVD Recordable Media Brands?

Michael M. Moore moore.michael.m at gmail.com
Tue Dec 25 18:55:22 UTC 2012

Back in the day when CD-R was king (and we had to walk 5 miles to school
and back, uphill, both ways), the expert advice was that brand matters less
than origin.  And the origin you wanted was Japan -- specifically, Taiyo
Yuden, from where all the Japanese manufactured CD-Rs begin their shiny
life.  Those CD-Rs might be sold under labels like Verbatim, Sony,
Panasonic, some others I think, but it didn't matter as long as it said
"Made in Japan" on the package.  The tricky thing was that those same
labels also sold identically packaged and priced CD-Rs made at lesser
plants in other countries, so you always had to look closely for the
country of origin.

The last time I checked, Taiyo Yuden was still king, even in the DVD-R
world.  But it's been a long while since I checked, so you might want to
see if that's still true.  I'm sure it's still true that the "branding" is
less important than the actual manufacturer.

On Fri, Dec 21, 2012 at 11:39 AM, Richard C. Steffens <rsteff at comcast.net>wrote:

> Now that I've decided on which DVD burner to get, what is the collected
> wisdom for which brand of DVD recordable media, both single layer and
> dual layer? The reviews I've read on Amazon start back at 2008 and vary
> from good to bad over time for the same product.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Dick Steffens

Michael M. Moore <moore.michael.m at gmail.com>