[PLUG-TALK] Cascading Hosting Services

Aaron Burt aaron at bavariati.org
Thu Feb 2 23:39:06 UTC 2012

On Thu, Feb 02, 2012 at 12:37:17PM -0800, Richard C. Steffens wrote:
> I don't know what to call this so I picked Cascading Hosting Services.
> What I'm looking for is the kind of hosting service that expects you to
> use their service to host your clients' web sites -- the ones you build
> for them.
>
> Does that go by a particular name?

"Whitebox" or "Professional" hosting.  However, in most cases, your clients
aren't technical enough to figure out how you're hosting their sites anyway.

> Who do those of you who set up web sites in this fashion use?

I usually use DreamHost, though I don't do it professionally.
I've been warned away from RackSpace due to reliability issues.
Media Temple seems to have a good rep, but they're pricy.

> What are the issues to watch out for?

Outages (check netcraft and ask around), slow response to support tickets
or change requests.