[PLUG-TALK] TelCo Rant

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Feb 17 18:05:44 UTC 2012

On Fri, 17 Feb 2012, Galen Seitz wrote:

> Have you considered that your router may be requesting a new DHCP lease
> independent of any Frontier action?

Galen,

   Nope.

> To determine whether this is happening would require snooping the traffic
> between your router and the DSL modem(which would likely require a hub and
> machine running wireshark). Alternatively, you could swap in a router
> running openwrt so you would have a setup similar to mine. I have a spare
> WRT54GL that I could loan you if you'd like to try this experiment.

   Thank you. The current Netgear runs as a firewall as well as a router, and
I'd need a bunch learning time to set up a test. With two major clients
needing results on large projects my time is constrained.

   However, I do have the Jetway atom-based box sitting here looking for a
purpose. It's not that much bigger than the Netgear VFS-318 and I'm sure
that I can configure it as a firewall and get a simple router from Free Geek
to work with it.

   Multiple options, too much to do. I'll see what happens Saturday night.
Switching ISPs may the the simplest, easiest, least costly, and least time
consuming option.

Thanks for the suggestion and offer,