[PLUG-TALK] Offsite VM workshop?

Keith Lofstrom keithl at gate.kl-ic.com
Fri Feb 17 19:14:10 UTC 2012

On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 09:28:05AM -0800, Rich Shepard wrote:
>   OK. I'm convinced. All I need now is the time to learn what I need to

I propose we put together a workshop, and get together a few
people that want to set up offsite VMs, and a few experienced
people who can help, one on one.  Besides just paying for, and
turning on, the VM, there is also setting up openvpn, postfix,
and apache on the VM and the home machine.  Beforehand, we can
decide on a VM service - I bet if we bundled a whole bunch of
orders to one provider, along with advanced notice, we could
get a hefty discount or rebate.

I'm guessing we could set that up in some other room at Free
Geek in parallel with the Clinic on Sunday March 18.  Or some
other place and time, if it helps smart guys like Paul show up.

---

As pre-workshop preparation, we will need to set up reliable
outbound VPN tunnels from all the home machines;  that way
we can ssh into them, whatever their ISP does to their dynamic
IP addresses.

In general, it might be a good idea for a few of us, in advance,
to build a single VM capable of terminating a whole bunch of
these VPN tunnels, along with a web page with the instructions
for setting up the home end.  This wouldn't be free-as-in-beer,
but perhaps if it was of limited scope, it might make a small
side business for one of us.

Perhaps there is already a service like that out there.