[PLUG-TALK] remote key input

Aaron Burt aaron at bavariati.org
Wed Feb 22 02:12:46 UTC 2012

On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 03:56:36PM -0800, wes wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 11:45 AM, Aaron Burt <aaron at bavariati.org> wrote:
> > I'd start with a "Teensy" board, which can run Arduino and emulate a mouse.
> > I'd hook that up to a pair of FRS radio handsets (cheap 'n' sleazy) or ISM
> > band radio modems (profe$$ional.)
> >

> this still leaves the puzzle of how to get the data to/from the handsets.
> Does a Teensy setup come with some capability for doing that?

Yeah, depending on what signal you choose.  A signal tone could be detected
by the Teensy (there's a frequency counter library) or you could use DTMF
or the FRS radio's call/squelch signal.  But that would be hacky and
possibly not permitted by the FCC.  I'd just use radio modems if I could.

It's kind of fun to play with USB mouse/keyboard emulation on the Teensy.
Hook up 2 potentiometers and make an etch-a-sketch mouse, or have it type
sensor data in for you.  Or if you're evil, plug it in the back of
someone's PC and have it insert random keypresses or mouse actions.