[PLUG-TALK] Google Docs

Denis Heidtmann denis.heidtmann at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 16:20:20 UTC 2012

On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 12:49 AM, John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net> wrote:
> This evening I tried to explore Google Docs. When I went to the home
> page I discovered that I was automatically on a Portland State page.
> That is because PSU converted all their e-mail accounts to Google mail,
> so the only way to access my pdx.edu mail account now (via the web) is
> to log in to Google with my PSU odin username and password.
>
> I don't want my own documents to be available to anyone at PSU. I don't
> want them to have anything to do with PSU. I have a personal Google
> account, but if I log in to it then I lose the ability to access my PSU
> mail. And once I log in to my PSU Google account Google takes over
> Firefox so every tab has who I am in the upper right hand corner.
>
> Is there a way to log in to two different Google accounts at the same
> time using Firefox or Opera? Has it occurred to Google that people
> might have a business life and a personal life and wish to keep them
> separate? Or that some users are getting increasingly pissed off at
> Google?

John, I have run into a similar problem.  Multiple accounts may be a
solution, but it is a pita.  I just established a second Google
account to enable a second email which is to be kept separate from my
original gmail.  I got so frustrated with the way the multiple
accounts arrangement functioned that I set up Firefox for the new
gmail and kept my original gmail in Chrome.  This way I know which
email is where.  With the multiple account set-up when you open a new
tab you have to be careful to ensure that you are in the account
desired.  I could not fathom the logic of it, and it required
vigilance that my wife found frustrating and distracting.  See
http://support.google.com/accounts/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=182343
for details.  (Google docs works only if you have a Google apps
account.)

Another approach is to establish different Chrome profiles, so that
two people can use the same computer login, yet have separate
bookmarks, themes, and I presume Google accounts.  However, I expect
that is not what you want.

I too am getting pissed at Google.  It seems to be learning from MS in
some respects.  When I created the new account, I could not avoid
joining Google+.  I had to remove Google+ afterward.  And now you
cannot remove other apps, such as Documents, Calendar, etc which now
are permanently placed in the black bar.

I should look for a different web mail service.

-Denis