[PLUG-TALK] A pair of pants (was: software program)

Paul Heinlein heinlein at madboa.com
Thu Feb 23 22:04:56 UTC 2012

On Thu, 23 Feb 2012, Keith Lofstrom wrote:

> Knowing the rules is essential to reach a wide audience, but rules
> are not sufficient.  Style and engaging stories matter.

When I was editing Computer Bits, I spent time every month recruiting
authors. Many of the folks I approached would decline by saying that
their spelling and/or grammar were sub-par.

My reaction was to tell them that, in the world of non-fiction for the
computer enthusiast, the the author's primary job is thinking in a
straight line about the issue at hand: what's the issue, what makes
the issue important, what needs to be done for the reader to reach the
desired level of expertise in the issue. Authors get extra credit for
an engaging style and impeccible English, but style and grammar aren't
part of the base grade. Thinking trumps all.

I suspect that nonfiction editors the world over have similar
thoughts. It's only when there's a larger competitive pool of authors
who can all think clearly that editors have the luxury of rejecting
authors based on style and grammar, reacting thus:

   http://ow.ly/i/t8bb/original

Writing fiction or a regular column is a different matter. In those
situations, thinking and style exist in a sometimes-uneasy truce. Some
writers (and their editors) seem to think that style can trump
substance and earn money. It's their publication, so I'm not in a
position to judge the economics.