[PLUG-TALK] SOPA, PIPA, "Piracy", Incentives

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Thu Jan 19 09:03:46 PST 2012

After the internet community's successful "shock and awe"
campaign against SOPA and PIPA, it is time to have a noisy
argument about "Intellectual Property", "Piracy", and
incentives to create.

I will start things out by saying we need a better way to
compensate producers of ideas that does not involve lawyers
( except, perhaps, for contract violations and physical
theft and violence ).

One of the /best/ ways to compensate producers is lowering
the cost of production and the barriers to entry.  It is
far easier to produce great ideas, new products, and new
collaborations than it ever was.  I propose that much
better tools are possible, and we can cut the cost of
idea production and deployment by one or two more orders
of magnitude.  That means more people can produce more
good ideas more cheaply - they won't need very much
compensation per idea.  In a world awash in new ideas
and invention, we can thrive with less compensation.

I can write a lot more (as you all are painfully aware),
but I will turn over the microphone to you now.