[PLUG-TALK] SOPA, PIPA, "Piracy", Incentives

glen gepr at ropella.name
Fri Jan 20 16:53:29 UTC 2012

I agree completely that the boundary between the inside of an organism
and its environment is not simple.  But I don't think such boundaries
are dissolving.  At least I _hope_ with all my heart that they are not
dissolving, because those boundaries are what give us the creativity and
innovation we see around us.  Transduction across a boundary is
necessary to avoid simple reduction.  Transduction is the mechanism for
complexity.

Now, you're right that we are not limited to the same boundary types
(transduction types) we've been limited to in the past.  But that's not
new.  When our ancestors grew eyes, gills, fingers, and toes, more types
of boundary were opened to us.  When our ancestors invented language,
more types were made available.  It's a continual process.

But the boundaries will _never_ disappear.  They will merely change.
(This is by definition, I think, because when/if the boundaries do
disappear, we will _be_ simple physical processes with no ability to
observe, understand, etc. ... there will be no complexity.  So, if the
boundaries dissolve, it won't matter because we won't be hear to grieve.)

Given that, I stick to my claim that the two taxonomies are necessary
for the conversation to be useful.  Taxonomies of 1) organisms and 2)
artifacts.  This is nothing more than 1) biology and 2) physics.

And don't be tricked into an over-simplified referent for the word
"taxonomy" just because my vocabulary sucks. ;-)  They need not be
static, acyclic, n-ary, or have any other stable property.  But a
classification, some classification, any classification, must exist if
we're going to map organism to artifact.  Each taxonomy and any one
mapping between taxonomies can change given different circumstances.

Indeed, in order to do it properly, accurately, we might have to develop
2 new taxonomies and 1 mapping for each and ever situation considered.
This is what we do already in trial by jury.  We consider the law and
the actors involved, and have the ability to apply a unique relationship
at that trial.

But just because our system is "special" (allows unique relationships
under unique conditions) does not mean it's arbitrary, only that it
depends fundamentally on the actors involved in doing the mapping.

Underneath, though, we still need actors that have semi-permeable
boundaries around them.  And what happens purely inside those boundaries
is irrelevant except for how it [ae]ffects the actors' behaviors and the
(also dynamic) artifacts that are [ae]ffected.

--
glen