[PLUG-TALK] metric for mixing/stratification?

Russell Senior russell at personaltelco.net
Wed Jul 18 09:10:15 UTC 2012

I have a set of temperature sensors arranged in a vertical array
(1x6).  I am looking for a metric I can compute that will represent
the stratification of temperatures across the array in a single number
(or just a few).  Something simple like standard deviation would work,
but it wouldn't take the sensor ordering into account.  Any
suggestions?

Maybe a linear regression would work, along with an error term.  That
would tell me the slope in real units (e.g. degrees/meter) which will
be higher during stratification and lower during mixing.  And the
error term will tell me how much deviation there is from the straight
line.

--
Russell Senior, President
russell at personaltelco.net