[PLUG-TALK] Domain Hosting and ISPs

Aaron Burt aaron at bavariati.org
Mon Jul 23 20:42:36 UTC 2012

On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 01:45:57PM -0700, Rich Shepard wrote:
> What is the purpose of domain hosting? Is it separate from the DNS servers
> for those two domain names that are located at namecheap.com?

Usually, that would be:
(a) receiving, storing and sending email for the domain
(b) hosting a website for the domain

$5-$20/mo is the usual range for that.  One can skimp by using redirects at
your domain registrar/DNS provider to forward traffic to e.g. GMail and
Google Sites.

>    Until I make the time to set up apache here and move our Web site in-house
> our ISP hosts that site for us; they provide no services for the other
> domain name. At least, none of which I am aware.

I guess you better tell them to stop charging you for the other one.