[PLUG-TALK] Domain Hosting and ISPs

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon Jul 23 22:14:46 UTC 2012

On Mon, 23 Jul 2012, Aaron Burt wrote:

> Usually, that would be:
> (a) receiving, storing and sending email for the domain
> (b) hosting a website for the domain

> $5-$20/mo is the usual range for that.

Aaron,

   Thank you for confirming what I thought to be the case. I've two domains,
both are registered through namecheap.com and use their DNS servers. My
business domain has a small Web site currently hosted by my ISP, but my
personal domain is just for e-mail. Since Frontier Communications no longer
supports static IP addresses for us 'Net nodes outgoing mail has to be
relayed through the ISP's server, but incoming is still direct.

   When I pointed this out to my ISP they dropped the 'hosting' charge for
the personal domain; the charge is only $2/month in any case so I'll pay
that for the business domain.

Much appreciated,