[PLUG-TALK] fridge parts

Keith Lofstrom keithl at gate.kl-ic.com
Wed Jul 25 17:26:37 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 11:33:31PM -0700, wes wrote:
> So, I'd like to check into replacing the whole pump assembly. The numbers
> on the side are n-86-qc by Invensys. Google shows me several similar
> models, and I could probably scavenge the pumps and swap things around to
> work if I had to. I just wanted to see if anyone here who does a lot of odd
> parts hunting could find this particular model in some catalog somewhere
> that didn't show up in google results.

The http://www.searspartsdirect.com website is awesome.  You can
find service manuals and parts lists for all brands of appliances,
not just Sears.  You should locate the refrigerator model and
serial number, usually somewhere on the inside surface of the
refrigerator compartment near the door.

When you have the model number, you can find the part number(s).
Often, there are upgrades.  You can look online or on eBay,
and do 2-3x better than Sears.  W.L. May has a lot of parts
in stock, but they are even more expensive than Sears.  It
sounds like you can wait for the replacement, so eBay may be
cheapest.  If you are in more of a hurry, Universal Appliance
Parts in Beaverton can get it for you in a couple of days,
and you can order online from them.

There's a larger parts place way out on SE Division, but I've
had no direct experience with them.

Keep in mind that refrigerators are made by the tens of millions,
and it is old technology, so the replacement part stream is deep
and wide.  There are tens of thousands of repairs just like yours
every day.  And some of the repairs are done by semi-trained apes.
Given your computer and car tinkering experience, and after looking
at a couple of youtubes (there are plenty about appliance repair),
you will do a better job than most.

If you need to work on the coolant loop, you will need a
responsible appliance ape.  Not that you couldn't do a better
job, but properly recycling used Freon is complicated.