[PLUG-TALK] Hacking Hotel Locks with an Arduino

Denis Heidtmann denis.heidtmann at gmail.com
Thu Jul 26 19:11:03 UTC 2012

On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 7:36 AM, Keith Lofstrom <keithl at gate.kl-ic.com>wrote:

> http://www.extremetech.com/computing/133448-black-hat-hacker-gains-access-to-4-million-hotel-rooms-with-arduino-microcontroller
>
> http://tinyurl.com/c2zqthp
>
> A presentation at the Black Hat Hackers conference publicly
> demonstrated how to access card key door locks with an
> Arduino and a patch cable.  The locks have no cryptographic
> security.
>
> The compromised locks are made by Onity, a subsidiary of
> United Technologies, and there are four million deployed.
>
> Keith

One comment in the article says that people may have to come up with other
ways to be secure in the hotel, such as chains, etc.  Wouldn't a blob of
fast set epoxy take care of the problem?  Those connections are not used
very often, so everybody using that room subsequent to the
epoxy suppository would be safer.  I know there would be a temptation to
administer the medicine elsewhere, but the lock would serve as a reasonable
surrogate.

-Denis