[PLUG-TALK] Verizon willfully driving DSL users into the arms of cable

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Jul 27 01:56:48 UTC 2012

On Thu, 26 Jul 2012, Keith Lofstrom wrote:

> I'm not sure I understand the problem. Why should Verizon maintain legacy
> copper crap when it can move customers to more maintainable FIOS?  New
> fiber is cheaper and more durable than coax or twisted pair, though the
> endpoints are $$$$. A long term oriented company would be stupid to
> connect new customers with copper.

Keith,

   The problem is more with rural folks (and Beaverton doesn't qualify for
that status). Think of Richard Little Owl in southwest Mo, or the folks in
Yellow Pine, ID who finally got wired telephone service only a decade ago
(it was all radio telephones before then).

   As the article said the issue is mainly in rural areas, but even in urban
and sub-urban areas folks on copper DSL (paying, perhaps, $30/month) are
being forced to fiber that costs at least twice that per month.