[PLUG-TALK] making/faking cheap beer for slugs

Paul Mullen pm at nellump.net
Fri Jun 8 03:38:57 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jun 06, 2012 at 11:56:51PM -0700, Keith Lofstrom wrote:
> Beer traps work OK for slugs - they seem to like the smell of
> yeast and sugar.  But my wife and I don't drink beer, and the
> stuff is pretty expensive as slug bait.

What sort of beer are you feeding your slugs?  A 40 oz bottle of PBR
is only ~$2.  Unfit for human consumption, perhaps, but slugs love it,
and a little goes a long way.

> Perhaps can toss some yeast and sugar into some food waste
> and make something ferment.  Any home brewers with ideas?  Or
> bad batches you want to dispose of?  We have a 10 gallon carboy.

Five pounds of corn sugar (dextrose) and a few packets of ale yeast
might ferment a brew strong enough to attract slugs.  Those
ingredients shouldn't cost over $10.  Ten gallons, though...  If I had
that many slugs in my yard, I'd run away.

--
Paul