[PLUG-TALK] making/faking cheap beer for slugs

Paul Mullen pm at nellump.net
Fri Jun 15 06:34:23 UTC 2012

On Sun, Jun 10, 2012 at 12:00:43AM -0700, Keith Lofstrom wrote:
> I don't think they can smell sugar - yeast can be plenty stinky.
> It does lead to an interesting question - what molecules are they
> actually smelling, and can those be added to plain water?

If that's the case, you can probably cut the corn sugar down to even
less than 1/2 lb per gallon.  It'll be a very light "beer", but as
long as you don't make any effort to filter out the leftover yeast
sludge, it should remain nice and stinky to the slugs.

> The good thing about yeast is that it can grow and multiply.  So the
> trick is making slug slop with the proper nutrients for yeast
> reproduction, without helping something nasty reproduce instead.  I
> assume that means sterile conditions and skill so that the yeast are
> the only living things involved.

Standard homebrew practice is to sanitize anything that comes into
contact with the pre-fermented wort (including the fermentation
vessel).  Iodine-based food grade sanitzing agents are popular.

> I also assume that if I keep things clean, I can dilute mature
> yeasty slop with more sterile raw materials and get fast
> reproduction.

Yeast packets are dirt cheap.  Unless you're looking for a new and
unusual hobby...

--
Paul