[PLUG-TALK] Honk if you like noise

Russell Johnson russ at dimstar.net
Fri Jun 15 18:00:23 UTC 2012

On Jun 15, 2012, at 10:50 AM, Ronald Chmara wrote:

> "[D]ecriminalization" of something reduces the level of punishment for
> a crime, but it's still illegal, and it will still show up on your
> permanent criminal record. You may not go to jail for speeding,
> jaywalking, or "creative parking", but it's still a crime. A crime may
> be "only" an infraction, or a violation, but it's still a crime.

I don't believe so. Traffic tickets do not show up on a "criminal" record.

From a legal website:

"Generally most traffic tickets are infractions, that is, punishable by fine not by imprisonment. And in many states the fines are civil  obligations not criminal. There are important exceptions: DUI, hit and run, vehicular manslaughter, certain speeding violations that may get you a ticket but will also get you into criminal court."

Russell Johnson
russ at dimstar.net