[PLUG-TALK] Medical insurance

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Mar 1 21:31:23 UTC 2012

On Thu, 1 Mar 2012, Keith Lofstrom wrote:

> One possibility for independents is joining the IEEE and using their
> insurance providers.  The State of Oregon Insurance Division has a
> mountain of data and analysis online.

   Er ..., no.

   Another law that the rented politicians passed for the health insurance
industry is that one cannot join a group health plan from a society or trade
group unless there are more than 2 full-time employees in the company.
Oregon and New York are the only two states to forbid this.

   I tried getting insurance through the Society for Mining, Metallurgy, and
Engineering (SME), but they could not sell to anyone in Oregon. Same with
several other trade and professional organizations. CPAs are an exception.

   I'm not a fan of the insurance industry.