[PLUG-TALK] Eclipse and "Supermoon"

Russell Senior russell at personaltelco.net
Sat May 5 19:26:29 UTC 2012

>>>>> "Keith" == Keith Lofstrom <keithl at gate.kl-ic.com> writes:

Keith> Here in Portland, the eclipse will be "only" around 88% of
Keith> total, around 620pm, with the sun forming a crescent around the
Keith> "top" of the moon.  But still, it will be a once-in-a- lifetime
Keith> show.  Even with cloud cover, close to dusk, an 88% darkening
Keith> should be spooky and way cool.  Please schedule time around
Keith> late afternoon on Saturday May 20, and support your favorite
Keith> local solar system team.  GO, PLANETS!

Well, that depends on your lifetime.  I experienced a total solar
eclipse in the late 1970s (from The Dalles, where it was clear), and I
can say it was freaking awesome.  Amazing corona, crystal clear sky,
right out of 2001: A Space Odyssey, minus the obelisk.

There is another total eclipse coming up around herebout in a few
years, though I've forgotten the details.  Although nothing is
guaranteed in this life, I am hoping to squeeze that one in as well.

(Note: May 20 is a *SUNDAY*, according to this here paper day-tracking
device on my wall).

--
Russell Senior, President
russell at personaltelco.net