[PLUG-TALK] Climbing trees

Keith Lofstrom keithl at gate.kl-ic.com
Thu May 24 18:07:24 UTC 2012

Any extreme-hobby tree climbers here?

We have half a dozen 100+ foot doug firs in our back yard, on
a ridge coming down from West Slope,  70 feet above Beaverton.
I wonder what the view is like from 60 or 70 feet up those
trees - I expect I could see Cooper Mountain, the Coast Range,
perhaps Bald Peak and Parrett Mountain.  The West Hills rise
quite a bit higher to the north and east, not much to see there.

I used to free climb 40 feet up the trees on the OSU quad back
in college (a good place to study, unless I dropped a textbook,
watch out below!) and that was pretty easy, but I no longer
have the agility or expendability.  If I climb some of our
trees, I would like to do so with someone experienced,
properly roped and equipped, and mildly adventurous.

I suppose I could hire an arborist, but I suspect they have
professional insurance restrictions about climbing with
clients.  Climbing my own trees with a non-professional
is moderately foolish, but the risks can be minimized.

While up there, it would be nice to place some pulleys and
anchors, if there is a way to do so without hurting the tree.
If I had more money, some POE tilt/swivel/zoom cameras and
perhaps some radio gear would be nifty.  Maybe next time.