[PLUG-TALK] OT: Used auto parts reuse/recycle?

Russell Senior russell at personaltelco.net
Mon Nov 26 15:22:25 UTC 2012

>>>>> "Aaron" == Aaron Burt <aaron at bavariati.org> writes:

Aaron> On Sat, Nov 24, 2012 at 09:40:09PM -0800, Keith Lofstrom wrote:
>> E.T. also left quite a few car parts - a bumper, part of a roof
>> rack, some large yellow suspension springs, and about 200 pounds of
>> other mostly-Toyota cruft.  I plan to take all that to Far West
>> Fibers for metal and plastic reclaim.

Aaron> I have pickups big and little, and am free ~2-3PM most days.

Aaron> I'd probably drive by a pick-n-pull and see if they wanted any
Aaron> of it, then bring it to Schnitzer or Far West.  Steel is
Aaron> valuable stuff these days.

I've sold a few hundred bucks of aluminum to Metro Metals on NE
Columbia Blvd (60-somethingth?) this year.  Aluminum fetches
~$0.5x/lb.  Cast aluminum was slightly better than sheet.  Must be
clean, no contaminating metals.  Steel is a few hundred bucks a *ton*,
iirc.

Scrap metal dealing is set up to deal with heroin addicts.  You walk
in with your stuff, you give them identification, they hand you a slip
of paper.  There is no complicated stuff like, oh, telling you the
rate they are offering, an offer & acceptance ... nothing to confuse a
drug-addled brain.  You only find out what they are paying you as you
are about to walk out the door.  By then, your stuff has been
irretrievably thrown on to a pile.  They cut your check on the spot,
but deliver it 3-4 days later by mail, to give theft victims a window
in which to intervene.

--
Russell Senior, President
russell at personaltelco.net