[PLUG-TALK] Replacing Cat5 Plug

Ronald Chmara ronabop at gmail.com
Mon Sep 10 00:19:59 UTC 2012

On Sun, Sep 9, 2012 at 4:43 PM, Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> wrote:
>    What's involved in replacing a cat5 plug? The retaining piece broke off
> the current plug so the cable falls out of the portable and I want to learn
> how to replace the plug.
>
>    I _think_ I have the appropriate tools; if not, the one I have is for
> telephone connectors. I know there's a sequence of wires but have no idea
> how difficult it is to get them in the proper holes in the plug.
>
>    Advice and guidance solicited.

1. Make sure your crimper can actually handle the plug. Some "phone
crimpers" only do 4 wire RJ/11.
2. Figure out if the cable is wired for TIA/EIA 568-A, or B, on the other end.
3, Cut the tip/plug off, then cut through (Lightly!) the outer shield,
to get maybe an inch or so of inner wiring exposed.
4. Separate the pairs gently, trim off any internal insert
5. Separate the strands from the pairs
6. Get them all lined up, flat, parallel,in the *proper* order for
your wiring spec (568-A or 568-B).
7. Cut off the tips of the strands so they form a straight line. (Not
shown in video). This makes inserting the ends easier.
8. Insert strands into plug, facing the right direction (up or down).
9. Insert plug into crimper

Reference on wiring:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TIA/EIA-568#Wiring

Video walkthrough: