[PLUG-TALK] Replacing Cat5 Plug

Paul Mullen pm at nellump.net
Mon Sep 10 00:25:32 UTC 2012

On Sun, Sep 09, 2012 at 04:43:26PM -0700, Rich Shepard wrote:
> I _think_ I have the appropriate tools; if not, the one I have is
> for telephone connectors. I know there's a sequence of wires but
> have no idea how difficult it is to get them in the proper holes in
> the plug.

You'll need a crimper suitable for an RJ-45 connector:

  http://www.pchcables.com/crtoforrjmop1.html

And a new plug:

  http://www.pchcables.com/modularplugs.html

Strip off a bit of the cable's outer jacket, and lay the individual
wire pairs into the new plug in the same order they appear in the
original plug.  (No need to strip the insulation off the individual
pairs.)  You may screw up one or two attempts, but it's not that
difficult.

I'm not sure how many retail stores carry tools and parts for this
sort of job.  PCH Cables has a store, but they're way out in
Hillsboro.  Fry's, perhaps, if you're up for a drive to Wilsonville.

--
Paul