[PLUG-TALK] Two presentations by Br. Guy Consolmagno

Keith Lofstrom keithl at gate.kl-ic.com
Mon Sep 10 19:04:43 UTC 2012

On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 07:14:05AM -0700, Don Wardwell wrote:
> Next Saturday, from 2:00 PM, there will be a Meteorite show and auction;
> lecture by former Vatican Astronomer (3:00 PM) and Potluck (BOOZE OK!) at
> Portland State Geology Department on the first floor of Cramer Hall.

A web link:   http://meteorites.pdx.edu/news-CML.html

Br. Guy Consolmagno SJ will also present to Rose City Astronomers Monday
Sept 17th at 7ish at the OMSI planetarium.  Their website is down right
now ( http://www.rosecityastronomers.org/ ) but the google webcache is
here: http://tinyurl.com/rcabrguy

AFAIK, Br. Guy is still one of many Vatican astronomers, and is curator
of the Vatican meteorite collection.  He writes many books on the
confluence of science, technology, and faith ( "God's Mechanics" is
a great read).  He is a great public speaker, and a charming fellow.
Br. Guy once told me (about biblical literalists) that "some people
worship the cookbook because they don't know how to cook".  He talks
about the Christian bible as a cookbook for living, with the stories
and history there to make the "recipes" flavorful, not to take precedence
over the personal end product, nor to contradict scientific or historical
observation.  But mostly he talks about science and astronomy.

Make time to listen to this fellow.  I'm an agnostic, but it
is wonderful that there are Christians who "proselytize" with
intelligence, science, humor, and humility rather than dogma
and invective.  Such bridge builders should be encouraged.