[PLUG-TALK] HELP, Need Master Boot Record

Tony Rick tonyr42 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 17:45:01 UTC 2012

Did you get this solved?  You didn't say whether you had internet access
(necessary for downloading any Live CD image) or already had a Live CD you
could use.  THere is lots of info on the net about this. A common
suggestion is
       sudo lilo M /dev/sda mbr
where /dev/sda is the first (or only) hard drive.  I have several rescue
cd's and am locla, if you still need help.

- tony (mostly lurking as of late)

On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 5:10 PM, David Mandel <dmandel at davidmandel.com>wrote:

> Chaz,
>
> I'm not local, so I'm not available to help in person - but I would
> recommend that
> you try downloading and burning to CD or DVD a rescue ISO called
> SuperGrub ver 0.9799
> from http://sourceforge.net/projects/supergrub.berlios/ or from links
> at http://supergrub.berlios.de/.
> These good people also have something they call SuperGrub2, but I
> don't recommend it.
> And I think they are working on something to combine the best features
> of the two, but I don't know
> for sure.  All I know is that SuperGrub ver 0.9799 has saved me a
> number of times including
> once or twice when I simply needed to put a MBR in place to boot Windows.
>
> David Mandel
>
> On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 4:14 PM,  <chaz at bctonline.com> wrote:
> > I got rid of the Linux partitions on an old dual-boot laptop.
> > I need the laptop to continue running windoze for a while as I migrate to
> > a pure Linux box.
> > I thought I could use the Windows install disk to rewrite the boot
> record,
> > but I was wrong.
> > I need some assistance in getting the boot record re-written.
> > This should be doable with a Linux rescue CD and a little cleverness.
> > I'm in a time crunch.  I will come to you.
> > Keith?  Anyone?
> > -chaz
> > 503-898-1144
> > chaz at bctonline.com
> > chat:  chaz.sliger at gmail.com

- tony
"I come from the nowhere, I go to the noplace, und here I am!"
Aladdin and His Wonderful Lamp (Popeye, 1939)