[PLUG-TALK] Working In VirtualBox Guest OS

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Thu Sep 20 18:25:08 UTC 2012

On Thu, 20 Sep 2012 11:20:07 -0700 (PDT)
Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> dijo:

>I have successfully installed VirtualBox-4.1.14 with win7 as the guest OS.
>There's just one issue I need to overcome: having the virtual win7 see
>the attached USB flash drive, copy files from it, run the .exe and
>load maps on the Garmin GPS via the USB port.
>
>The last time I saw Windows was NT4 in 1996. I find nothing on the Start
>menu that lets me see attached drives, directories, or anything else.
>IE automatically loads the Dell site (it's a Dell win7/64-bit home
>edition I bought).
>
>How do I work with this virtual machine?  Sigh.

You need to install the Guest Additions in order for the guest OS to
see USB devices. On my Fedora computer the Guest Additions are in the
repositories. If you can't find them in your repositories you can just
download the appropriate package from Oracle.