[PLUG-TALK] Job advice

Michael Rasmussen michael at jamhome.us
Mon Apr 1 20:20:36 UTC 2013

On Fri, Mar 29, 2013 at 05:03:14PM -0700, Aaron Burt wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 29, 2013 at 03:34:39PM -0700, RIchard wrote:
> > On 3/29/2013 2:47 PM, Aaron Burt wrote:
> > > On the other hand, I wonder if I just want to hear them beg me to stay. :)
> >
> > If you're really set on leaving the company for a new  job, you
> > generally should not give your notice until you have an offer in your
> > hands and have accepted.
>
> Oh, I'm defintely set (that was a joke), and I've seen enough fickle
> jerkwads to know better.  I just would like more than 2 weeks to prepare,
> and I know I wouldn't want to make a new employer wait longer than that.
>
> Obviously I wouldn't give notice until I had an offer in hand, but why not
> warn them in advance?

Turnover is a part of normal operations. If there is not a manager you feel comfortable
with raising this issue with - that's a danger sign. If they value you as an employee
they may try to address your concerns - that will put you in the position of clearly
articulating them. That's a good thing. It's possible they can make changes to address
your issues and everyone can remain happy.  It's possible they'll mark you as unreliable
from a retention perspective and raises, perks etc will dry up.  They may even help you
make the transition while you help them with your replacement.  Lots of possibilities
for us on the outside to speculate on.

Having said that...

To directly answer "why not warn them in advance?"
Your manager's job is to track things like this. If he's not on top of your job satisfaction
he has some learning to do.  I'm assuming you would be forthright and open if and when
asked about the issue. If you have, they already have all the warning they need.

--
            Michael Rasmussen, Portland Oregon
          Be Appropriate && Follow Your Curiosity