[PLUG-TALK] Cory Doctorow's must have list: Linux heavy

Michael Rasmussen michael at jamhome.us
Thu Apr 4 08:12:59 UTC 2013

Cory Doctorow is co-editor of BoingBoing, a respected author who releases
all of his works in print and CC licensed electroic copies, and a former
Apple fanboy. He advocates for Linux, in particular Ubuntu.

He was inteviewed by Lifehacker about his must have tools.  Entertaining.
http://lifehacker.com/5993401/im-cory-doctorow-and-this-is-how-i-work?post=58723178

A smattering of excerpts for the link following adverse:

    What apps/software/tools can't you live without?
Ubuntu and the suite of GNU tools in any robust Unix system. A good text editor (currently Gedit)—I keep all of my
working files at .txts. A robust, highly configurable browser (Firefox/Firefox for Android). A fast RSS reader
(presently Google Reader, likely to be Newsblur next). A tetherable mobile connection—I use EasyTether for Android to
circumvent tether-blocking as deployed by some of the carriers I use around the world, especially Rogers in Canada.
AirDroid for moving files on/off Android devices in my life.  [big snip]

    What's your favorite to-do list manager?
~/Desktop/todo.txt

    What everyday thing are you better at than anyone else?
Making breakfast. I make my family a 3-4 course, hot/cold tailor-made breakfast every morning, in 20 minutes flat, with
handmade coffees.

    Is there anything else you want to add for readers/fans?
I used Apple products from 1979 (Apple ][+) until 2006, when I switched to Thinkpads running Ubuntu and, shortly
thereafter, Android phones. It was infinitely easier than I expected, and has been revolutionary in terms of ease,
convenience, and reliability.

No computer company in the world has a warranty program to match the extended warranty on the ThinkPads. For about
$50/yr, you get next-day, on-site hardware replacement. [snip]

When I was a CIO, I used to write POs for $1MM+ worth of Apple equipment a year. The best day of AppleCare's life can't
touch the worst day of the ThinkPad warranty. When you use something every day and earn your living with it, you need
something that fails at least as well as it works.

--
            Michael Rasmussen, Portland Oregon
          Be Appropriate && Follow Your Curiosity