[PLUG-TALK] Rain-net, the internet in Oregon in 1991

Russell Johnson russ at dimstar.net
Fri Apr 5 22:23:17 UTC 2013

On Apr 5, 2013, at 3:08 PM, Keith Lofstrom <keithl at gate.kl-ic.com> wrote:

> Netscape Navigator
> in December 1994, Internet Exploiter in August 1995, Safari in
> January 2003.  If you remember "surfing the web" before that, you
> were either at CERN or you are confused.

Well, there was gopher, archie, veronica and jughead, pre-web ways to browse archives. I was at Symantec in Eugene from December 1993 to February 1999. I remember fighting with drivers to get a tcp/ip stack installed in Windows 3.11, and then the wonder of connecting to archie servers.

Russell Johnson
russ at dimstar.net