[PLUG-TALK] Wail! Google fiber coming

Russell Senior russell at personaltelco.net
Mon Apr 8 05:01:52 UTC 2013

>>>>> "Michael" == Michael Rasmussen <michael at jamhome.us> writes:

Russell> It would be better if the users owned the infrastructure
Russell> (like they do for streets, water, sewer), and bought private
Russell> services over that infrastructure, so they could guarantee
Russell> low barriers to entry for service providers.

Michael> When I read about that happening someplace I'll post a "Wail!
Michael> <municipality> laid their own..." link

Sandy Oregon is doing it right now.  Monmouth/Independence did it a
while ago.  Those are just the ones in Oregon that spring to mind.
There are plenty of examples in other states, like Lafayette LA,
Chatanooga TN, and Burlington VT.  Lafayette launched around 2009 and
were cash-positive a couple/three years later.

It really isn't very risky.  It's been done.  It's known, working,
highly effective technology.  It's only the incumbents that make it
sound scary.

--
Russell Senior, President
russell at personaltelco.net